About this job
Job type: Permanent
Experience level: Senior
Role: Senior PHP Developer
We are looking to add a full-time PHP developer to our core product team to help bring our web portals and web services to the next level. You will be responsible for delivering core functionality of our real-time geospatial safety products, and we need your help to continue developing a highly scalable and rock-solid platform using a mix of PHP, Linux, Apache, Nginx and MySQL hosted on AWS. The role is remote, but we also have offices in London and co-workers dotted around the UK.
Tools we use
- PHP 7.x
- AWS (EC2, ECS, SNS, SQS, RDS)
- Bitbucket (for version control and CI)
Things you might do
You are likely to get involved in all aspects of our technology stack. However, here of some of the things you might do:
- Write testable and maintainable application code to support new features and create new APIs.
- Help migrate legacy projects through testing and refactoring
- Research and develop POCs.
- Own the services you develop from development through testing and deployment.
- Identify and fix bugs that affect our web services.
- Work alongside our customer success team to provide second line technical support.
- Automate disaster recovery efforts and improve overall resilience to failures.
- Develop integrations with a third-party service ingesting our data.
Being a remote team we encourage active collaboration through Slack and video conferencing, including pair programming, show and tell sessions, demos and retrospectives.
- You are experienced with modern PHP development practices and open source frameworks.
- You are comfortable modelling database schemas and writing queries across a variety of data sources.
- You love building new things.
- You solve challenges involving scaling, reliability and high availability.
- You have strong Object Oriented PHP skills and experience writing APIs and web applications.
- You believe in writing unit and integration tests.
- You have a good understanding of web application security.
- You are comfortable using Git either through the terminal or other tools, such as Sourcetree or GitHub Desktop.
- You have a dedicated and private space to enable home working. You’ll need to be able to work from home without interruptions, as well as being able to travel on occasion.
- You love learning. Engineering is an ever-evolving world. You enjoy playing with new tech and exploring areas that you might not have experience with yet.
Things you need to know
- Successful candidates must pass a basic DBS check.
Since 2011, StaySafe has been protecting lone workers. We operate across five continents and protect thousands of people every day. We do this through our smartphone apps and web-based platform.
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days holiday in addition to the 8 public holidays
- Flexible hours
- Work anywhere, provided you have 4 hours of overlap with other members of the team. We also meet in London every few months with your travel expenses met.
- Maternity and parental leave
- Personal development budget, from attending conferences to online training courses
- Personal development and learning time
- The right tools to do your job, for example, an Apple MacBook Pro and licenses for any software you need such as PhpStorm
- Home office budget to purchase additional equipment you may require to set up your working environment
- Childcare Voucher scheme
- Pension scheme
How to Apply
Applying is straightforward:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org including your CV and cover letter.
We look forward to hearing from you.